One of the greatest services All About Home Care has to offer is in-home physical therapy for stroke patients. If you have a loved one who has just had a stroke, and you need to learn about strokes and how All About Home Care’s skilled nursing can help in the recovery, keep reading.
Two Types of Strokes
According to stroke expert Anne Burleigh Jacobs, there are two main types of stroke; ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. The first type of stroke, ischemic stroke, it is more common type and accounts for about 85% of strokes. This type of stroke occurs when there is a blood clot( a physical blockage) that cuts off their blood supply, and therefore oxygen, to brain cells. The second type is a hemorrhagic stroke. The remaining 15% of strokes are this type. In a hemorrhagic stroke there a physical bleed from a blood vessel.
Both types cause what is known as a penumbra in the brain. Penumbra is the spot around the primary damage where the stroke causes brain cells to go electrically silent, and then, in many occasions but not all, die. This penumbra, or electrical silence of brain cells, presents as the symptoms of a stroke. The ischemic stroke causes the brain cells to eventually die from lack of oxygen, the cells will empty themselves and damage surrounding cells causing more damage. In a hemorrhagic stroke, the blood that is released is toxic to brain cells and specifically the neurons. This type of stroke causes more severe stroke symptoms and also has two zones of damage, the initial zone and where the blood damages more cells as it spreads.
The penumbra that is created by one of the two types of stroke, and the symptoms, correspond with the part of the brain where the damage took place.
We’ll discuss recovery from a stroke in our next blog, be sure to call All About Home Care to arrange care for your loved one recovering from a stroke. We offer skilled nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, among other services.Contact Us Today
Comments are closed.